Flavours of garlic and ginger match up well with fresh grapefruit juice and segments to create a very easy dinner that is unique and healthy.
2 Florida Ruby Red Grapefruits, about 2 lbs/1 kg
1 grilling strip loin beef steak, about 300g/12 oz
15 mL (1 tbsp) finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 clove garlic, grated
2 mL (1/2 tsp) grated fresh ginger
2 mL (1/2 tsp) ground cumin
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
15 mL (1 tbsp) packed brown sugar
750 mL (3 cups) coleslaw salad mix
1. Cut both ends off grapefruits using a serrated knife. Using sawing motion, cut skin and white pith off and discard. Cut grapefruit between membranes into segments into a bowl; set aside. Squeeze remaining grapefruit membrane juices into a shallow dish. Stir in parsley, garlic, ginger and cumin. Divide mixture in half.
2. Trim visible fat from steak and add to one half of the grapefruit juice mixture. Turn to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
3. Discard marinade from steak and place steak in greased nonstick grill pan or skillet over medium high heat and grill turning once, for about 5 minutes or until medium rare or until desired doneness. Place on cutting board.
4. Stir brown sugar into reserved marinade. Return skillet to medium high heat and add coleslaw mix and marinade mixture and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add grapefruit segments and cook for 1 minute or until coleslaw is tender crisp.
5. Slice steak thinly and add to coleslaw mixture. Toss before serving.
How to grate garlic and ginger: Use a rasp or Microplane for a smooth fine grate or the small side of a box grater.
Serving Presentation: If you want you can also place the steak sliced on top of the coleslaw mixture for an alternate presentation.
Recipe provided courtesy of the Florida Department of Citrus.
Per 1 serving (1/4 recipe)
pour 1 portion (1/4 recette)
Amount % Daily Value
Teneur % valeur quotidienne
Calories / Calories 350
Fat / Lipides 4 g 14 %
Saturated / saturés .03 g
+ Trans / trans 0 g 22 %
Cholesterol / Cholestérol 75 mg
Sodium / Sodium 540 mg 23 %
Carbohydrate / Glucides 31 g 10 %
Fibre / Fibres 2 g 20%
Sugars / Sucres 10 g
Protein / Protéines 36 g
Vitamin A / Vitamine A 20 %
Vitamin C / Vitamine C 100 %
Calcium / Calcium 10 %
Iron / Fer 30 %