Pan Seared Sea Scallops, Chive Rosti, Sautéed Rapini, Grapefruit Vodka Beurre Blanc
Makes one serving
3 Large sea scallops, abductors removed
1 small yellow-fleshed potato
1 tbsp AP Flour
5g finely chopped rosemary
5g Chives, chopped finely
5 stems, rapini, bottoms removed and rinsed
1 shallot, peeled and chopped brunoise
1 tsp grapefruit zest
6oz grapefruit Juice
3 grapefruit segments
1 tbsp vodka (or 0.5 oz verjus)
2oz butter, unsalted, chilled and cubed
5g fresh tarragon, chopped finely
- Peel potato and grate coarsely into a mixing bowl. Sift flour over grated potatoes, incorporating until all flour is absorbed.
- In a non-stick small pan(5-6”) heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and 1 oz of butter over high heat until butter is frothing. Carefully spoon the mixture into the pan and use an inverted spatula to spread the potatoes gradually to the edges until an even thickness is achieved ( 0.5 – 1 inch thick).
- Continue to cook on high heat for 2-3 mins, flip cake over with spatula, and place pan into a pre-heated 400F oven.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cut into desired shapes, or simply placed onto the plate as is.
- Blanch rapini in salted boiling water for 2 minutes, checking periodically for doneness. Once al dente, refresh immediately in ice water. Reserve.
- Heat tbsp of canola oil in a sauteuse and sweat shallots until tender. Add grapefruit zest and continue to cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add ½ oz of butter and increase heat to medium high. Once butter has melted, add reserved rapini and sauté until heated through. Season to taste with salt. Serve immediately.
- Remove 3 segments from a grapefruit and reserve. Squeeze 6oz of juice from the remainder of the grapefruit.
- Place ½ of a shallot, brunoise, grapefruit juice, zest, and vodka (or verjus) in a small heavy-bottomed pot on a medium burner and allow to reduce until au sec (almost dry).
- While pan is still hot, add cubed butter and stir continuously until butter is melted into a light coating consistency. Add chopped tarragon and segments. Heat through and serve immediately.
- Pat scallops dry with paper towel or small clean cloth and season with salt and black pepper. Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in frying pan until barely smoking, and carefully place the scallops in. Allow to sear until evenly caramelized and flip scallops over.
- Place pan into a 400F oven for about 3-4 minutes for a medium doneness. Remove from pan and arrange on plate with rapini, rosti, and grapefruit buerre blanc in desired fashion.